Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Should many be punished for the actions of a few?

Ring ring, its 6 am on a Tuesday morning and my cell phone is going off. I set my cell phone alarm to 6 am for a 6:30 am workout. A workout our coach decided to implement the night before due to one of our players not going to study hall. Later that morning our prof in bio is lecturing the class because someone stole equipment from the bio lab. My grades are good enough so that i don't need to go to study hall, i do not steal and did not steal any lab equipment. So why was i waking up at 6 am and why was i being lectured on stealing, and the ethics that we as members of a society have. I did nothing wrong and have proven myself as a good upstanding citizen. Looking back i remember the first thing i said this morning was "explicative" (insert players name), i was very unhappy and upset with this player for only allowing me to obtain 5 hours of sleep. We participated in a grueling workout that left everyone gasping for breath. I looked around the room and saw the rest of my teammates in pain just i was. I then began to obtain a perspective on what was going on around me. I was working with my teammates and there was something in the sweat we polished on the hardwood floor that made me realize although we were being punished for the action of one. The players and myself in that room were working together, our coach had one drill where we carried the player on our back for a certain distance. We were learning to work together, and everyone was clearly working till the point of exhaustion. After the workout justice seemed to be served, the player who didn't do his study hall was emptying his stomach, only thing was it was through the oral cavity not the other. I have to admit that my feeling was not the same in the bio lecture, of course i knew that this lecture on the ethics and society didn't pertain to me so i realized i shouldn't be angry or upset. I had followed the rules and as long as i did i wouldn't really have to listen to an angry prof lecture me on ethics. Ethics which I already understood are an integral part of society.

No comments: